How did I end up in graduate school in my late 30's? I should be enjoying my life, not doing homework! I have always had a haphazard relationship with my education. High school was just easy. I hated getting out of bed and going to school, but the learning part was a breeze. I would say I put no effort into it but now I work with kids who REALLY put no effort into their education. I managed to do enough to graduate 3rd in my class - of 32! This made me the black sheep of the family as both my sisters were valedictorians of their class.

I went off to Temple University with high hopes. I did fairly well at first, then the world became too distracting. Philadelphia and a large University were a different universe from the little Catskill town where I grew up. I became involved in a wonderful citizen action group. It may have taken away from my studies, but I learned more about myself and other people than I ever did in a classroom. After four years I still had 6 classes to finish. In the middle of my 9th semester I contracted mono at a party. (Word of advice for 21 yr olds: even if the wine bottles are empty don't drink out of strange cups. ; ) A rocky semester went downhill and I never graduated.
I was pregnant before I could get back to college. My son was born in Philadelphia and I registered for courses. I took my newborn to school with me and he was a hit. But the next semester there was a hitch with financial aid and while doing my final paper for my senior seminar in Shakespeare I found out I was no longer registered. We ended up leaving Philadelphia for Ohio and once again I was leaving without a degree.
I returned to New York when my son was 18 months old. I struggled along as a single mother for a while and finally got a great job when he was 5. What did I do? I quit in less than a year to try that college thing one more time. I figured Kindergarten was synonymous with free daycare.
Going back to school at 30 was one of the best experiences of my life. I was much more determined and was so happy so be opening my mind after 6 years with a baby/toddler/preschooler as my main companion. I did not work so I had more than enough time to be a student and a mother. Not that it wasn't stressful, but basically I remember it as one of the happiest times of my life. And finally, I earned a Bachelor's in English. (I skipped graduation for my cousin's wedding in Florida - great decision.)Unfortunately, I came home and instead of landing a great job I became a teacher's aid for students with autism. Even more unfortunately, I loved it. Seven years later I came to the conclusion that if my destiny was in a school I had to get my salary into the 5 digits. I applied for ESC but somehow my essay didn't get sent electronically so I didn't get in. A year later I got an email asking if I was still interested. I emailed back, "sure." A few months after that I got a phone call to set up an interview. I was unsure but figured what could it hurt. I got lost going to the interview and was 45 minutes late, but I guess I talked a good game because they let me in anyway. I didn't make up my mind to register until August. I kept the idea in the back of my head that I could always drop out. I didn't tell my family until Thanksgiving.
I actually made it through the first semster with two A's. I had very understanding professors! Now I am thoroughly committed to finishing the MAT program and it scares me to death. Things are not going great this semester. Besides the MAT courses I have this digital storytelling class which is fascinating but often leaves me feeling like a fish out of water. On top of courses I need to be taking tests and keeping my eyes open for a job. I don't have confidence yet that I can even manage being a teacher. My education has been a bumpy road filled with potholes and detours. On one hand, it makes me a much more sympathetic educator. On the other, it undermines my belief that I can follow through with difficult tasks.
That's why I've spent this long weekend sitting in front of a computer instead of traveling or skiing or going to movies.


No comments:
Post a Comment